Slow Cooked Coffee Roast
Slow-Cooked Coffee Pot Roast
* 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), quartered
* 1 cup dark roast beantownroasters brewed coffee
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 6 tablespoons cold water
* Place half of the onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with garlic and half of the beef. Top with remaining onion and beef. Combine coffee and soy sauce; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 9-10 hours.
* Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Cover and cook on high until gravy is thickened, 30 minutes.
4 ounces cooked beef: 248 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 362 mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
* Originally published as Slow-Cooked Coffee Pot Roast in Country Woman November/December 2001 *